Nim Li Punit is located in the foothills of the Maya Mountains in the southern part of Belize and was discovered in 1976. It was inhabited sometime between the middle Classic Period (AD250 – 1000) until AD 800 and 1000.
Nim Li Punit was in what was the southern lowland region of ancient Maya territory. The site name is derived from a figure on the longest carved monument (Stela 14) which shows a man wearing a large diadem (headdress) and means “big hat” in Kekchi Maya.
The site is made up of three main areas designated the East, West and South Groups. The East Group is the first area entered after leaving the Information Centre and is an area of terraced platforms on a hillside. The Ball Park and South Group are visible down the hill. The South Group includes the Plaza of the Stelae and the Plaza of the Royal Tombs. The West Group is not open to the Public.
For more information visit the Belize National Institute of Culture and History - NICH